Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The B List

+6
Capitalist Pig
Xenoe
InteroVegas
dinasemrys
kaede
Corenat Rovarnus
10 posters

Go down

The B List Empty The B List

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-07-30, 22:50

This would normally be the A List on any other site, but I'm doing it differently because I want to give smaller obscure mangas the limelight because they actually need more fans to support them. These are very well written and have some measure of popularity, but already have a large enough fanbase so you don't need to obsess and preach in the streets about it. Most of these are still required reading though.

1. Death Note <eda+flm+lam>: Please don't tell me you've never heard about this before. Book reviewers all over the world have critically acclaimed it for the concepts introduced to society. Watch it, read it, just don't see the live action movie, and for pete's sake DON'T take a potato chip and eat it.

2. Fate/Stay Night <eda+flm>: If you don't know what this is you can go drop yourself in a hole and die, Insta-Ban. With the recent advent of the UBW Moveh which is out with SUBS (check the topic) Very Happy. It's actually the #1 visual novel in Japan, a bit too high above the popularity threshold to make A list, but if you want to argue that then go ahead.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion <eda+flm+vg>: The video games are for N64 and suck ass, don't bother. Beneath the surface of a typical little boy gets chosen to do something special there's a whole lot of psychology and Freudian crap, which is very interesting. Prawnz. End of Evangelion, EoE was BETTER than Death/Rebirth and any other ending currently offered right now, dam straight. And if you want to completely confuse someone, show the the last two episodes of the english dub anime, which is one of the possible endings and can be utterly replaced, its the worst of them.

4. Full Metal Alchemist <eda+flm+ln>: Upon recommendation of MarthMarthy. I like the use of the Expecting Someone Taller trope. EDIT: Now having watched it for myself I can definitely vouch for its inclusion here.

5. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni <vn+lam+eda>: Upon recommnedation of Darkgenesis. The anime represented the main storyline fairly well, though of course without a lot of the intellectual content like the Umineko anime did, and contributed its own stuff as well. Your Mileage may vary on the actual VN, as the art is....teletubby standard. However, there is an official licensed english translation that you can buy at MangaGamer, so no confusing translation patch and torrent or hax archive required. A live action movie for this came out earlier this year so it probably doesn't need more fans.

6. 20th Century Boys <mo+lam>: Upon recommendation of Darkgenesis. I started reading this but got bored so I really wouldn't know. sorry.

7. Clannad <vn+eda+ova+flm>: The life story of this guy called Tomoya Okazaki (ZOMG Okazaki fragments lol remember biology) who is really emo and has some really gay depressing life or something. Then boy meets girl blah blah blah omg death sad face find the lights. Upon request of dinasemrys(peinan), I know Key makes good stuff so I won't question it.

8. Air <vn+eda>: This was apparently a really big thing in Japan in the 2000s, Piro in Megatokyo loved it. Apparently there's a lot of stuff involving crows and the sky, hence the name 'Air'. Also upon peinan's request, but my personal opinion too.

9. Kanon <vn+ln+eda>: One of Key's first vns, upon request. Also, I saw the H-scenes for this in a flash game, so it MUST be good. lol.

10. Trigun <flm+eda>: Mykal would probably vouch for this. This was pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.

11. Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann <flm+eda>: It's like a foil to Evangelion. Boy finds robot and gets into shenanigans. This series was so retarded and full of cliches but everyone loved it anyway and it made memes that were capable of piercing the heavens. So here you go.

Last edited by Corenat Rovarnus on 2012-05-07, 11:34; edited 7 times in total
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The B List Empty Re: The B List

Post by kaede 2010-07-30, 23:22

Added info for eva: The series is being re-released as a set of 4 movies with better animation and slight changes in the story (a new pilot, changes in names things like that) movies are ok but if you have seen the series your not missing much.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD
AwesomeSauce : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-07-31, 18:44

Rebuild of Evangelion Roxorz, I really hope they'll announce when 3.0's due to be released.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by dinasemrys 2010-09-17, 23:23

add Clannad and Kanon... Key is known for being able to make exceptionally beautiful plotlines.
dinasemrys
dinasemrys
Centurion
Centurion

AwesomeSauce : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2010-11-07, 00:34

Veritas, its awesome, just like chevalier of the abyss and The Breaker. And yeah, they are all manhwa, but they all rock. Also Sun Ken Rock is funny stuff.
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse nub, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenoe 2010-11-07, 12:15

I hate the main character of veritas though, I love kusanagi... Hes awesome
Xenoe
Xenoe
Praetor
Praetor

AwesomeSauce : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by dinasemrys 2010-11-07, 17:00

veritas is too much mindless action and fanservice. The plot is minimal and the people appear to constantly get stronger. All in all, its pretty much a normal shonen (I still like it though...)
dinasemrys
dinasemrys
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Capitalist Pig 2010-12-21, 22:22

Can we add History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi to this?
Capitalist Pig
Capitalist Pig
Centurion
Centurion

AwesomeSauce : -11

http://fakku.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-12-22, 03:51

since its you, I'll need someone else's agreement to justify it. someone else preferably having higher than a master in nasuverse.

also guys giving some reviewer-style commentary/summary for each series will help if I haven't seen it.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by Capitalist Pig 2010-12-22, 08:25

It's a series serialized in Shonen Sunday about a boy named kenichi who, despite having no talent for martial arts, has the talent for hard work. He trains like all GAY-MOS hell and beats up bad guys like the leader of the karate club and Ragnarok and YOMI and powerofpoo. He moves into Ryouzampaku, his dojo, and trains with 6 or so of the greatest martial arists alive.
Capitalist Pig
Capitalist Pig
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede 2010-12-22, 17:32

I'll vouch for him it's a decent manga but got boring after a while so I stoped reading after two books.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-12-22, 20:02

Capitalist Pig wrote:It's a series serialized in Shonen Sunday about a boy named kenichi who, despite having no talent for martial arts, has the talent for hard work. He trains like all GAY-MOS hell and beats up bad guys like the leader of the karate club and Ragnarok and YOMI and powerofpoo. He moves into Ryouzampaku, his dojo, and trains with 6 or so of the greatest martial arists alive.

uh huh, that would sound awesome if I was a 12 year old shonenfag who would hog the tv whenever an episode of the dragonball dub series came on, but no, today the sophisticated citizen looks for more than just mindless fighting.
Lol this was really funny, in one of the recent sunday comics, Aunt May in Spiderman was like "Why do men always have to solve their problems with violence?"
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by Capitalist Pig 2010-12-22, 21:50

Remember back at the beginning of Dragon Ball, when it was actual martial arts instead of just lazor beemz? that's a much more accurate representation of kenichi.
Capitalist Pig
Capitalist Pig
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhu Yang 2010-12-23, 22:58

Yeah, I've read it before and it's decent. The author attempts (part successfully) to incorporate actual martial art concepts from Karate, Jew-Jitsu (lawl), Kung Fu, and Muay Thai.

(Each of Kenichi's masters is a practitioner of one of these styles).

There's a lot of fanservice with the lead heroine, almost all of the female enemies, and later on the female master as well. Humor is decent, but pretty reliant on the art style to make it work.

I'm kinda skeptical about whether it should be on B list though, since the story's so straight forward. If it makes the list, it's because the art pulls it through.
Zhu Yang
Zhu Yang
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse Master
AwesomeSauce : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-12-24, 00:49

oh oh vroop points off, you had a good introductory paragraph with a strong thesis describing tone, but your commentary paragraph lacks evidence from the media.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by Capitalist Pig 2011-04-02, 19:07

REQ'ING HETALIA AXIS POWERS
Capitalist Pig
Capitalist Pig
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhu Yang 2011-04-02, 20:21

Capitalist Pig wrote:REQ'ING HETALIA AXIS POWERS
Good thinking Sandy, we should definitely have that on the lists.
Zhu Yang
Zhu Yang
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2011-04-02, 20:58

Putting it on C list.
COOL FACE
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede 2011-04-02, 22:03

I may end up watching this its available on netflix for instant watch.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede 2011-04-16, 01:40

Double post.

Requesting the series Chaos;Head by Nitroplus (creators of Saya no Uta).

Chaos;Head is psychological/thriller series about a Hikikomori (in denial) named Takumi Nishijō who only goes to school 2.5 days a week and spends his days living inside a shipping container (which is filled with anime stuff, eroge games, and figurines of various female anime and VN characters who he calls his wives) on his computer all the time playing an mmorpg, watching anime and talking to his online pal Grim. While talking to grim in an irc room about a series of gruesome murders a person identified as shogun enters the room lurks for a while then posts an equation which he says has doomed many (fun^10 x int^40 = Ir2) several pictures showing a violent murder and the phrase "whose eyes are those eyes" which is a phrase that only Takumi knows. The next day while walking home from school he sees a pink haired girl (girl that's my avatar currently) standing next to the a corpse nailed to a wall in the same manner as the pictures. The story continues with Takumi trying to live and at the same time deal with his own delusions which are starting to affect reality and a special type of people known as Giglomaniacs.

(The actual photos sent by shogun:
Removed)

Overall this is a fairly well written visual novel with a fairly good cast (my favorite being Yui Sakakibara who does several vocal songs for the VN and anime) every character is fully voiced and the VN and anime has a fairly good soundtrack. Something unique to this visual novel (at least i think it is haven't seen it in any other) is delusion triggers which can change the mood of a scene and trigger imaginary scenes (for example your little sister takes a drink of coke choose the green trigger she starts to come on to you while if you choose the red trigger she starts coughing up blood and dies because you poisoned the coke she drank from.). The visual novel has an updated release on the 360 and psp called Chaos;Head Noah and a sequel of sorts called chaos;head lovex2 also for 360 which takes out all the guro elements and makes it a romantic comedy VN though it has a different story.

I'm only suggesting the VN because i haven't watched the anime which i have heard is good but not as good as the VN.

Last edited by kaede on 2012-08-01, 15:54; edited 1 time in total
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by kattanakitten 2011-04-17, 00:32

Anime for chaos;head was terrible

kattanakitten
Griefer
Griefer

ProZ Degrees: When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin 2011-04-17, 12:43

well the sequel stein's gate seems interesting, if not awkward, lol
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

AwesomeSauce : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede 2011-04-17, 13:11

Sending messages through time with a microwave? Yeah seems awkward but its suppose to be good.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin 2011-04-18, 11:19

i meant awkward as in the characters... especially the main character..... so fk'n awkward
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

AwesomeSauce : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede 2011-04-27, 14:20

If anyone is interested I will be uploading the visual novel chaos head on my media fire sometime this week. It is 2.36 GB and split into 15 parts each 190MB.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by nullset12 2011-04-27, 20:32

Does anyone have a mediafire pro account we can all use? It is extremely inconvenient to download each file separately.
nullset12
nullset12
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhu Yang 2011-04-27, 21:06

nullset12 wrote:Does anyone have a mediafire pro account we can all use? It is extremely inconvenient to download each file separately.
I was suggesting something like this earlier. There is an 'add file/folder to your account' function in mediafire. Which pretty much means that you can add the same file to multiple accounts' archives. I was thinking of creating a CoP mediafire which would add all of the relevant files from our individual accounts.
Zhu Yang
Zhu Yang
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2011-08-15, 17:05

20th century boys gets good after like 30 or 40 chapters, the first 1/6th is all buildup.
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse nub, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede 2011-11-18, 01:20

Don't know if your still doing these lists but I'm suggesting the Anime Desert Punk for the B list. Great anime with a great dub Some dialogue had to be changed like for example sexual references toward a prepubescent girl and the changing of a joke of your mother has a outie (second most serious insult in japan) to this (guy who made this video sucks at recording):

Also there is funny stuff like this:

Anyway it's a good anime so I recommend it dub more then sub because funimation did a good job localizing it.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Capitalist Pig 2012-08-01, 15:30

Gonna have to request Puella Magi Madoka Magica for this list. I would request A-list because it's GAY-MOS awesome but apparently you're a hipster so you keep really mainstream stuff out of the a-list (like F/SN)

It's short (only 12 episodes), and the first 3 episodes are a slightly better-than-average magical girl stereotype anime. After that it gets real dark real fast and is really really really Law good.
Capitalist Pig
Capitalist Pig
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2012-08-01, 15:44

Shure man whatever you say, I'll check out desert punk.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by dinasemrys 2012-08-01, 22:27

Toaru Majutsu no Index. Not the anime or fcking kagaku no railgun. The lightnovel series http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

I really like the setting. The quality changes dramatically after volume 13 where the storyline begins to focus on the secondary main protagonists (Accelerator and Shiage). It becomes a lot more action based and fast paced at that point with fewer slice of life events.
dinasemrys
dinasemrys
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down