Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers

4 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers - Page 7 Empty Re: Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-19, 16:29

"We will soon be embarking on a great quest, worthy of legend. But keep your eyes open. At this moment we are seeking another of these foul priests, who was to meet with the one who cursed me. We have quite a tale for you once we return to Detlef's estate however."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

AwesomeSauce : 0

Back to top Go down

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers - Page 7 Empty Re: Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-19, 18:23

[Leewan has nothing to add]
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse nub, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-19, 22:20

"Very well then brothers."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

AwesomeSauce : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-19, 22:23

[If you're going to try and find the other priest you'll need to make a test]
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

AwesomeSauce : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-20, 01:53

Gwain, very interested in any opportunity to hunt down a priest with his family's consent, leads the search. [6 on awareness (notice)]
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-20, 02:46

Leewan is surprised by Gwain and Robillard's confidence to hunt down the second priest. When an opportunity presents itself he beckons them to a quiet corner.

"Why are we so quick to commit ourselves one side of this war?"
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-20, 08:04

"Finding a priest is not commitment. I would have thought your Machiavellian mind would recognize the act of betrayal."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-20, 08:08

"If you ferret out this other agent those talons will undoubtedly notice. If no effort is made to apprehend him or report his location we will be dead in our sleep. To find this man is to force us to verge of decision."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-20, 10:03

Robillard looks around for something to throw. "I'm tired of this shadow war, of skulking in corners, unable to say what we mean and fight whom we must. Give me an enemy, someone to crush and I will drop him. Themis did not make these hands for whispers and games."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-20, 10:38

Gwain gives both a puzzled look. "What exactly is going on here?"
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-20, 12:45

"The past several days have been filled with events and surprises. One might even feel they've been here for weeks, but remember, it has only been a week and several days. The shadow war is not our house's priority. Waging real war, and obtaining the old king's crown is."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-20, 13:27

Robillard manages to control himself before crushing some random priest's skull. "Of course, you are correct. Like always. Now let us proceed to the Blasted Lands so we might finally have some action and excitement."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-20, 13:43

"Not before I win the archery tournament I hope. I say this not just so I can win honor for our house, but there is a chance we might be able to make a powerful ally. Niels Fray is in the competition and looks poised to take second place. His father single-handedly turned the tide of the battle at Black Pass and slew the liches Yakov and Yulian in two-on-one combat. If there is anyone in this realm who can aide our quest, it's him."

Last edited by Tristan Sky on 2017-01-20, 18:21; edited 1 time in total
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-20, 18:13

"Pursuing the Frays is wise. Robillard, as a free man it is your decision to chase down this priest. Only understand for whom you undertake this hunt."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-22, 10:29

Robillard slams his fist into his palm, frustrated at his inability to follow his desires. "I see the wisdom of your counsel. We will wait for now."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-22, 12:15

[We do the tournament and Leeeeeaaaaave or at least fast forward to the dinner with the potential guide.]
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-22, 12:16

[gimme five more set of three archery tests for Gwain]
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-22, 12:45

Gwain proceeds to the final round of the archery tournament and does his best to bring honor to his house.

{26, 22, 31}, {28, 29, 26}, {29, 31, 27}, {24, 29, 25}, {21, 23, 29} Mean: 27, max 31, min 21
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-22, 13:47

Gwain leaves his brothers to take his place in the final round of the archery tournament. As Gwain approaches, he realises that Niels is not among those in the final round. Looking around, Gwain spots the young Frey walking over the crest of a hill towards the city. Confused, Gwain ponders for a moment why he is leaving such a glorious event but his thoughts are interrupted by the announcer.

"Welcome one and all to the final round of the archery competition celebrating the new Kings coronation! The best of Acren are here to compete for wealth, fame, and glory! Archers, take your place and let the competition begin!"

Gwain takes his place and fires off his shots with tremendous accuracy and precision. The large crowd gathered ooh and ah at the finesse and confidence Gwain displays in his craft and before Gwain knows it he has nailed a fine cluster of shots from the hundred meter mark. The announcer calls for all competitors to stop and a short period of silence and anticipation is had while the judges tally the scores.

The announcer comes to the center of the grounds and he proclaims loudly to one and all "The scores are tallied! The winner of the archery competition and the hudred and fifty gold dragon prize is Gwain Von Griswald!"

The crowd jumps into elation and celebration as a large sack of coin is handed to Gwain and he is congratulated by the judges. It takes some time for Gwain to manage to escape the crowds of adoring fans and make his way back to his brothers.

The three Griswalds take their leave for Detlefs estate and by the time they return it is getting to be late afternoon. Gisgo can be seen as the brothers make their way down the street waiting in front of the estate by leaning against one of the fences. Once you three are closer he says "Had to wait outside. Unsurprisingly they didn't believe me when I said you sent me here Lord Griswald."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-22, 15:03

"Give it time. For now we should enter and begin eating."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-22, 15:08

When the group sits down to eat, Gwain begins the conversation. "So when do we leave for the blasted lands? Are we to pass through Heretic's End on the way?"
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-22, 15:50

"We must marshal our troops and see to the logistical support of our forces. Of course visiting the cardinal may prove beneficial for our cause as well. We set out tomorrow for home."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-22, 16:33

"In that case, I should make haste in contacting House Fray. For some reason Niels was not present in the final round of the competition. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to approach them tonight? My knowledge of political customs is not as good as it should be."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-22, 17:07

"The delicacies of politics are often lost on me. Proceed as you would. As of late you have demonstrated a surge of maturity."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-22, 19:43

"Thank you for your kind words brother. Unless anyone objects, I'll be going now." As Gwain leaves, he inquires at Detlef's estate as to where the Frey house is staying. Before going out, Gwain summons whatever members of Gwain's guard happen to be at hand to accompany him.
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-22, 20:55

Robillard simply spends his night drinking and relaxing in front of the fire.
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-22, 21:04

Leewan addresses the mercenary.

"We will be traveling unto the open plains of the lych lands. Depending on the results of the initial combats there will be expanded operations."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-22, 23:23

Gisgo, who has been silently eating this whole time minding his own business, looks up from his food and says "I presume you have more need for me than making sure you don't eat the wrong kind of berries out there? I figured you were going on the new not-crusade since it's all anyone has been talking about for the last couple days around here. How far into the Blasted Lands are you looking to go?"

Gwain passes by Detlef who is descending from his study towards the kitchen and asks him if he knows where the Frey are staying. Unfortunately, he does not and nor does anybody else at Detlefs estate and so Gwain gathers up Treachery, Gluttony, and Pride who happen to be around (Treachery more to make sure Gwain hasn't disappeared and lost an arm this time) and sets out to find out where the Frey are.

Before Leewan can respond to Gisgo, Detlef comes in through the door to the dining hall with a letter in his hands and says "You may want to pause whatever it is you're talking about with this dog, cousin. A letter from the King arrived not long ago for you."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-23, 13:32

Leewan responds in typical form, with face void of emotion.

"This man is no dog. He is a potential addition to the Griswald forces. Still, have a servant bring forth the letter."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-23, 14:28

Detlef doesn't say anything in response but hands Leewan the letter he was carrying along with a letter opening knife. The Kings seal closes the letter in red wax and with a flick of the wrist the seal opens. The letter inside reads as follows:

Greeting Lord Griswald,

My sincere congratulations to your brother and your house for his victory in the archery competition. I am told he performed exquisitely and with such finesse that the ladies of Acren will dream of such a specimen to wed them for years. I wish to extend an invitation to Gwain Von Griswald to dine tomorrow morning with me in the castle and offer my confragulations in person. Such a champion of our country would find ample opportunity and glory among the Kings Guard especially with upcoming combats. I look forward to our meeting.

Sincerely,
Sovereign of Acren

Detlef and Gisgo both look at you with anticipation. The only audible sounds are the crackling of a fire and the crunching of some nuts in Gisgo's mouth as he eats.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gwain eventually learns that the Frey family is staying at a family members estate. Gwain arrives to sizable structure standing three stories tall and an iron fence surrounding the property. Similar to Detlefs estate, a small garden decorated the front of the building but unlike his a circular arena likely for horse riding, sparing, and other activities can be seen towards the backyard from the streets.

Gwain waits at the front gate his his three compatriots and eventually an older maid comes to the gate and says from the other side with a lantern in hand "The master is home right now sir. Can I ask you your name and see if the master will have your company?"
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-23, 14:40

"A simple thing. If Gwain succeeds in obtaining the King's good graces then he may be able to request leniency on that contract brought about through the old errors of his ways."

Leewan returns to Gisgo.

"We need navigational directions for moving fort to fort, to avoid petulant battles with roaming raider bands and their ilk, etc."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-23, 14:47

Detlef shrugs and simply listens to the conversation. Gisgo ponders for a moment while picking at some sliced pork with a fork but responds after three bites "How many men you bringing? Most of the war bands will leave you well enough alone but some Lich may get a big idea and attack; especially if you stray from the main army. I can get you through without worry of raider ambushes."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-23, 14:54

Gwain offers the maid a pleasant smile. "I am Gwain von Griswald. I seek the company of Niels Fray. We met at the archery tournament today."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-23, 15:26

"Our forces will range between four and five hundred bodies."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-23, 19:20

"How well acquainted are you with the various forts themselves? Do you know their strengths and weaknesses, any potential points of entry for a small determined band of fighters?"
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-23, 19:35

Gisgo gives a sour look and says "Only five hundred? The raiders will stay away except for the occasional attempt at a night raid but you'll die against any Lich warlords. Most may be nothing more than peasants with pitchforks but the abominations they bring will destroy such a small force. Individual and small travelling parties stay away from forts so I've only been to a few. I do know where a number are, however."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The maid leaves Gwain at the gate for a little while longer and eventually returns opening it for Gwain to come in. As the three members of Gwains Guard make to walk in she raises her hand and says "The master doesn't wish these others to come in."

Gwain looks at them and Treachery simply nods for him to go on without them. Gwain follows behind the maid and glances back to see the three waiting patiently at the gate for Gwains return. Passing through the oaken main doors of the house Gwain is greated by a very military decorated home with many swords and shields adorning the walls and portraits of great military leaders from Acrens past. The maid leads Gwain into a smoke filled room where three individuals can be seen sitting in chairs facing a fireplace two of whome smoke a pipe and blow puffs of smoke from their nostrals and mouths. Gwains recognizes Niels and Lord Frey but doesn't recognize the third.

All three turn on Gwains entrance and the maid says "My sirs, Gwain Von Griswald here to see you."

The third man says in a boisterous voice "Ah! We weren't expecting you tonight my young Griswald. Why don't you tell me why you're here while the maids fetch you a seat?"
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-23, 22:01

Gwain is almost taken aback by the kindness with which he is welcomed into this home. This is perhaps the first time he has encountered genuine warmth from a stranger since the incident with the priests. He quickly collects himself and responds in kind. "I was quite impressed with Niels showing in the archery tournament. I wish I could have competed against him. I was planning to make his acquaintance after the event, but he seemed to have run off. I don't believe I have the honor of knowing your name sir."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-24, 00:07

The man takes a puff from his pipe and says "Alwin Friedrich is the name my boy. I'm surprised the young Niels here even participated in the archery competition. Don't tell me you've been shirking your swordsmanship Niels?" the last part he says with a hint of jest in his tone.

Niels smiles to Alwin and says "I went off to the archery competition as otherwise I'd have been tremendously bored waiting for the brawl. A shame the finals had to be during the start of the blade tourney."

Lord Frey pats his son on the shoulder and says with a big grin "Considering how quickly you put the competition down today I'd be surprised if you considered even that entertaining. Only that knight from Weingalds house looks like he'll give you a challenge at this rate."

As the three banter to each other the maid from before comes back with a comfortable chair in hand. She scoots past Gwain and places it in front of the fire next to Lord Frey who says "Come on then, it's cold outside and we made you wait out there long enough. Don't want you catching a cold and dying before the war can even take a crack at you."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2017-01-24, 01:44

"Thank you miss." Gwain replies before sitting in the chair provided. "You know, I'm quite the swordsman myself. I don't know how I'd stack up to the young Frey, but I have been trained to wield the braavosi blade in the water dancer style. My brother, Robillard von Griswald, is a different story all together though. I've seen him take on two of my own men with ease. He does lack a certain finesse however. I'm curious, how did you train your son in the blade Lord Frey?"
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-24, 09:16

"Tell us in brief summary the lay of the land outside the forts then. Of shires and hovels and congregations of peasants."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-24, 10:59

"Perhaps you could DRAW US A MAP. That way we won't have to rely on UNCLEAR AND POTENTIALLY CONFUSING GEOGRAPHICAL DESCRIPTIONS."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-24, 13:09

Gisgo takes another bite of pork before speaking and says "I do not have the hand of a cartographer so I'm afraid I cannot draw a map for you. Especially since much of the Blasted Plains are, well, plains and the distance between features hard to judge. If you've seen one part of the lands then you've seen it all. Craters the size of a horse pocket the ground and the only vegetation that lives that's not grown by men clings close to the ground to avoid the winds. No villages hug the walls of the forts as any that used to exist have been burned to charcoal by sieges of other warlords. If you ever wanted to approach one without an army you'd have to do so during the dark and risk being eaten up by the twisted beasts of the land."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Frey speaks up "I've heard of your brother's abilities. A shame he fights like a savage and simply swings a hunk of metal as hard as he can at someone's face. No finesse and no chance at survival makes for foul play."

Alwin points his pipe at Lord Frey and says "All finesse and you risk taking an axe to the stomach when they charge you. Better to stick with a longer blade so they don't just get the upper hand through reach."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-24, 13:21

"And still they must trade. To sustain a fortress and the people within an exchange of local goods for foreign goods must be made. Speak to that then."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-24, 13:40

"They steal from the farming villages every so often. A tithe, they call it."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-24, 15:23

"And surviving in these desolate lands? The only time I have even been close, I have been part of grand battalions, replete with supply trains. How will we find our sustenance while traveling leagues beyond any Griswalds forces have gone before?"
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-24, 18:09

"With whatever you can carry and steal. Even your crusades rely on thievery of food from peasants, despite their unwillingness to admit it. Though the crusades haven't ever gone farther than supply trains can reach in a five days travel from the passes." He responds coldly to Robillard
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-24, 19:11

"Then where are these villages? Moments ago you said nothing exists outside the walls of the lych forts."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2017-01-24, 21:34

"This is why maps would be helpful to our cause..."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2017-01-24, 22:12

Gisgo ignores Robillards comment and says "They don't farm crops. They keep herds of animals that can feed off the meagre plant life that exists. The flesh of those who past isn't wasted either."
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2017-01-24, 22:25

"This is enough debate on the matter. You are either ready or unwilling to join our forces. Which is it?"
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next