Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The SF List

2 posters

Go down

The SF List Empty The SF List

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2012-08-08, 21:05

Almost all Science Fiction Novels that I have read, that you must read because they are amazing. See if you have ANYTHING that I DON'T. Finally something that I excel above all else in. Reply with which of these you've read and what else you think should be included.
Also, don't cry because Lovecraft isn't here, Lovecraft belongs in a category of its own.

Orson Scott Card - His writing style just flows so easily to me, nothing he writes is ever boring.
    Ender Saga
  • Ender's Game - If you've never read this, you're not one of us....SCRUB DETECTED
  • Speaker for the Dead
  • Xenocide
  • Children of the Mind
  • Ender's Shadow - No, I never got the chance to read the other Shadow books....shut up
  • A War of Gifts
  • Ender in Exile
  • First Meetings
    Homecoming Saga - I liked that Harmony had a Russian/Slavic based culture
  • The Memory of Earth
  • The Call of Earth
  • The Ships of Earth
  • EarthFall
  • EarthBorn
    Others
  • Empire - This duet is more of a modern political thriller, but it's still kind of in the genre.
  • Hidden Empire
  • Wyrms
  • Treason, A planet called - This ended up being so freaking weird.
Isaac Asimov - Asimov is old fashioned, it is definitely very easy to tell that his works are from the 50s and the ensuing decades, however his books have been the inspiration for a lot of stuff in modern SciFi.
    The Foundation Series
  • Foundation - Coruscant in Star Wars and the idea of a planet wide city were all taken from the planet Trantor in Foundation. It's certainly not very coherent plotwise, but the scope is grand. So so grand.
  • Prelude to Foundation - Shows more of the might and splendor of the Galactic Empire before its collapse
  • Forward the Foundation
  • Foundation and Empire
  • Second Foundation
  • Foundation's Edge
  • Foundation and Earth
    The Galactic Empire Series - More interesting plotwise but more space opera-ish
  • The Stars, like Dust
  • The Currents of Space
    Robot Series - This probably hits closer to home for us modern Americans than the rest. Also, there is that huge satire of how men don't talk in public bathrooms which I found hilarious. It connects better to the Foundation than the Empire novels do.
  • I, Robot - THE THREE LAWS OF ROBOTICS. DON'T KNOW 'EM? YOU'RE DEAD TO ME.
  • The Caves of Steel
  • The Naked Sun
  • The Robots of Dawn
    Fanfictions - These three fags got permission from the Asimov estate after he died and cranked out these things. I don't remember them too well, but I don't care.
  • Foundation's Fear
  • Foundation and Chaos
  • Foundation's Triumph
Frank Herbert - Dune is like the Minecraft of books. You jump in without any prior knowledge and you'll have pretty much no idea what is going on. What is actually going on though is freaking awesome. Ecology, genetics, drugs, feudalism, sociology, all mixed up in one big mess. THE SPICE MUST FLOW. Also has a bunch of movies and video games. House Harkonnen ftw. Although I like Guild Navigators.

• Dune - Duh original
  • Dune Messiah
  • Children of Dune - Leto II becomes the big man
  • God Emperor of Dune - This is my least favorite installment, why the hell do people like it so much.
  • Heretics of Dune - Basically the start of the second 'arc', sort of, with the new "Witches and Bitches" power balance thing.
  • Chapterhouse: Dune
    Fanfictions - Yep, just like with Tolkien, Herbert's son went and "continued" the story, adding in a lot more sex (if that is even possible) and fanservice. I didn't complain, but I'm still calling it fanfiction.
    Prelude to Dune:
  • House Atreides
  • House Harkonnen
  • House Corrino
    Legends of Dune:
  • The Butlerian Jihad
  • The Machine Crusade
  • The Battle of Corrin
    Dune 7: The supposed conclusion to the main saga. I think it was a little contrived and fanwank, but otherwise satisfactory.
  • Hunters of Dune
  • Sandworms of Dune
    Heroes of Dune:
  • Paul of Dune
  • The Winds of Dune
Arthur C. Clarke: His scifi is like, the hardest Science fiction, it is so dam realistic. This is partially thanks to the fact that Clarke was actually an expert at the forefront of a lot of the science fields that he writes about, including Astronomy and space tech.
    Odyssey Series
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey - O man o god o man o god o man I can't let you do that Dave it's a pop culture phenomenon HAL over nine thousaaaand
  • 2010: Odyssey Two
  • 2061: Odyssey Three
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey - So much trolling was done here. Spehss Elevatorssss~
    Rama Series
  • Rendezvous with Rama
  • Rama II
  • The Garden of Rama
  • Rama Revealed
    Time Odyssey - This was full of badass, Aristotle is obviously future version of Google.
  • Time's Eye - Alexander vs Genghis Khan.....Holy Grail War anyone?
  • Sunstorm
  • FirstBorn
    Others
  • The Hammer of God
  • Tales of Ten Worlds

1984 by George Orwell - ummm....self explanatory...

Greg Bear - One of the fags who wrote the 2nd Foundation trilogy. His non franchise works are actually pretty cool.
  • Eon - Now you can truly show your friends THE WAYS
  • Legacy

Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide series. British humor at its best.

• The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
  • Life, the universe, and Everything
  • So long, and Thanks for all the Fish
  • Mostly Harmless

Kage Baker - Wrote Tales of The Company, Dr. Zeus Inc. It could almost pass as a shonen manga...I still kinda like it though.

• In the Garden of Iden
  • Sky Coyote
  • The Graveyard Game
  • The Life of the World to Come
  • The Children of the Company
  • The Machine's Child
  • The Sons of Heaven - I actually used this as a source for an English class essay trololololol
  • Gods and Pawns
  • Black Projects, White Knights: The Company Dossiers
  • The Empress of Mars - Starcraft. Just Laughing

Scott Westerfeld - This is like SciFi for chicks man. Whatever. I did read this stuff though so don't call me out on it. They ARE a lot more interesting than anything listed below them though. Check them out if you're not that hardcore or are a pop culture brainwashed chick. Which is basically the same thing in my book.

• Uglies
  • Pretties
  • Specials
  • Extras

Ray Bradbury - Why do I always think of Ray Charles...This guy, his crap is memorable but its very irritating IMO.

• The Martian Chronicles
  • The Illustrated Man
  • Fahrenheit 451 - This is 1984-ish

Robert Heinlein - omg omg rickrolled over 500 million served daily....The last of the Big Three American Writers. AND NO STFU MICHAEL I HAVE NOT READ STARSHIP TROOPERS BUT I'LL GET TO IT AS SOON AS I CAN DAMMIT.

• The Star Beast
  • Tunnel in the Sky - I think this is first Heinlein novel I've ever read, I was like 7 years old at the time, I almost cried.
  • Citizen of the Galaxy
  • Have Space suit, Will travel - An odd little piece.

Nick Sagan - Carl Sagan's son. Sagan is like Snoop Dogg

• Idlewild
  • Edenborn
  • Everfree

Oh crap...I got nothing by Vonnegut under my belt FUUUUUU

Last edited by Corenat Rovarnus on 2012-08-08, 22:48; edited 1 time in total
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The SF List Empty Re: The SF List

Post by Dave 2012-08-08, 21:25

Corenat Rovarnus wrote:Almost all Science Fiction Novels that I have read, that you must read because they are amazing...
That's quite a list!

I've read very little of what you've listed, mostly just Orson Scott Card, Frank Herbert, and George Orwell.

Corenat Rovarnus wrote:Nick Sagan - Carl Sagan's son.
I guess I'd add Contact by Carl Sagan. Living in daddy's shadow. Wink

Corenat Rovarnus wrote:Oh crap...I got nothing by Vonnegut under my belt FUUUUUU
I really enjoyed Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I've been meaning to read Cat's Cradle one of these days...

Also, I always like Zelazny, so I'd have to add Lord of Light.

EDIT: And how could we possibly forget Douglas Adams with Hitchhiker's and Dirk Gently?
Dave
Dave
Griefer
Griefer

AwesomeSauce : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2012-08-08, 22:43

How could I forget that? Putting that up right now...
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down