Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Umineko: The Witch's Epitaph

5 posters

Go down

Umineko: The Witch's Epitaph Empty Umineko: The Witch's Epitaph

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-07-09, 00:52

The Witch's epitaph, a treasure map to the lost Ushiromiya fortune. The toughest riddle/puzzle in possibly the world, this is not your typical fairy tale rhyme. The answer to this riddle is the location of the hidden gold in Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.
Go ahead and search up the answer on google, no one has found it. Watching the anime will leave you clueless, reading the VN will give you a few clues. Use any resources you can, it's the only way we'll defeat this challenge. Welcome to Rokkenjima.

My beloved hometown, the bountiful river running through it.
You who seek the Golden Land, follow it's path downstream and seek the key.
If you follow the river downstream, you will find a village.
In the village, look for the shore the two will tell you of.
There sleeps the key to the Golden Land.

He who lays his hand upon the key shall travel under the rules below.
At the first twilight, you shall lift up as sacrifice the six chosen by the key.
At the second twilight, the surviving shall tear apart the two who are close.
At the third twilight, the surviving shall praise my honorable name on high.
At the fourth twilight, gouge the head and kill.
At the fifth twilight, gouge the chest and kill.
At the sixth twilight, gouge the belly and kill.
At the seventh twilight, gouge the knee and kill.
At the eighth twilight, gouge the leg and kill.
At the ninth twilight, the Witch shall live again and none shall be left to live.
At the tenth twilight, the journey shall end and you should reach the Golden Land.

The Witch will praise the wise, and should bestow four treasures.
One shall be, all the gold from the Golden Land.
One shall be, the resurrection of the souls of all the dead.
One shall be, even the resurrection of the lost love.
One shall be, to put the Witch to sleep for all time.
Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Umineko: The Witch's Epitaph Empty Re: Umineko: The Witch's Epitaph

Post by ZedSlayer 2010-07-10, 19:17

the answer is 42
I'm sorry I couldn't resist

ZedSlayer
Praetor
Praetor

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse BS
AwesomeSauce : -6

Back to top Go down

Umineko: The Witch's Epitaph Empty Umineko mystery clues

Post by InteroVegas 2010-09-08, 23:42

I will be listing all the clues and data we have on Beatrice and the gold in here, apparently from the first episode alone [Legend of the Golden Witch] you can solve the riddle.

So with some meager notes

There was a real person named Beatrice.
She lived in a small house out in the forest.
She was Kinzo's Mistress.
She most likely died in the forest in a place where no one could hear her or find her.

If Beatrice is not a witch , then there is not 10 tons of gold. If Beatrice is a witch then there could be 10 tons of gold. This is because they state that only 100,000 tons have been mined from the history of the earth, 10% of this amount would not be in one persons possession without supernatural means.

Wayne if you have any 100% true things to put in, edit them in.

In Higurashi, witches did/do exist. Thus umineko being in the same universe lends itself to this, thus the challenge is not so much to deny witches but to deny beatrice of being a witch.

Personal Idea on the gold: That the "key" that they talk about is in Beatrice's home in the forest. Hence you follow the path to the village. There is shore nearby where Beatrice falls over and dies (the real one), this would be that same shore, and perhaps near her body or on her was a key of sorts to the gold.
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse nub, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-09-09, 18:49

Amos, you deserve to be thrown into logic hell, you contradicted your own red truth.

"She most likely died in the forest in a place where no one could hear her or find her"
"There is a shore nearby where Beatrice falls over and dies"

You can't really have a forest on a shore to be in when you die, and falling off a 'shore' means drowning in whatever its the shore of. What the death was described as was that she fell off a rocky cliff while attempting to climb down and was shattered and pierced by the sharp rocks below, which was witnessed by Rosa. And I'm merging this with the pre-existing riddle topic.

Banquet and End(arc 3 and 5) give significant progress into solving the riddle, apparently the original key is a word, an anagram of something. It involves 'li'(里), the word for 'village' in japanese, and 'location' suffix in chinese, which also happens to be a character in Maria's name in kanji.

Here's my speculations from a few months ago:
The key is a string of 11, more likely 13 characters or more in length. this is the total number of sacrifices stated in the riddle.
Each 'sacrifice/kill' is the removal of one letter in the string.
The twilights could possibly represent a ten day journey from the beloved homeland to the Golden Land, each twilight being a location along the way.
In the first twilight 6 characters are sacrificed (verbatim) 'to the key' but probably according to the first stop in the hypothetical ten day journey or something pertaining to it.
The second twilight is about 'tearing apart the two who are close', probably meaning two characters that are next to each other in the original string or come after each other alphabetically.
the third twilight, 'those who remain shall praise my name on high', means that the remaining characters after the first two removals would form a word or words that is either the name itself or something similar.
the others have something to do with location and obviously the body part gouged.
at the ninth twilight, 'none shall be left alive', so that means there won't be any letters left.
the tenth twilight is where the journey ends, but instead of saying the Golden Land with 3 characters(idk it looks like chinese so I know the middle character means gold, 'jin') it says the Village of Gold by adding a No(the thing that looks like sideways theta with a chunk cut out of it) in between jin and the last character.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2010-09-09, 20:06

a ) most likely means high probability

b ) if the anime is canon then she died when she fell off a cliff
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-09-10, 13:26

there is only one eyewitness account of the living person Beatrice, that is from Rosa, and in that one she died by falling off a cliff.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2010-09-10, 17:56

a cliff that had a shore by it, at least in the anime it did, like they were going to go down to the beach, and she fell off the path they were walking down.
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-09-11, 15:21

Ok, you just did not mention the cliff part, so it sounded gay, and in the VN, they were climbing down the cliff face, because I doubt an adult woman would be stupid enough to walk off the top of a cliff when a little girl did not.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by nullset12 2010-09-11, 15:42

maybe i should start reading this b4 i answer anything
nullset12
nullset12
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2010-09-11, 16:27

Corenat Rovarnus wrote:Ok, you just did not mention the cliff part, so it sounded gay, and in the VN, they were climbing down the cliff face, because I doubt an adult woman would be stupid enough to walk off the top of a cliff when a little girl did not.

In the anime they are walking down the convient anime ledge/path down the cliff side, Beatrice goes to the edge to get a view of the sea, then the ground she is standing on breaks and gives way. She falls to her death, the precise detail of how she got to the part where she fell to her death at the beach is not important, what is important is that she fell off cliff at the beach

And yeah, before you try to answer anything, at least see the Anime's (I went through 1, the back half of 2 and then 3 and 4) although ep 1 in the VN is FAGGOT KERN-PERETS SLOW
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2011-01-02, 00:34

Okay, after reading Episode 7 and getting my mind blown, here's a few things that I've gleaned, without spoiling too much:

1. The key is confirmed to be 11 characters long, all part of the english alphabet.
2. The first verse of the epitaph has almost nothing to do with Beatrice's death on Rokkenjima.
3. It is humanly possible to solve the epitaph from only reading up to Episode 2, but provided you have the following:
A. Extensive Knowledge of Asian Geography
B. Japanese Settlements and migrations in the World War II/Showa Era
C. Fluency in the English language(This would be a hindrance for the intended native Japanese audience)
D. Fluency in Japanese, especially kanji.
E. Chinese Pinyin conventions and basic characters.
F. Of course, critical reasoning skills and the ability to connect between these fields. This is a given for just about everyone.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by DukeLawliet 2011-09-06, 17:49

Oh god, the answer was a ridiculous cop out. But I cant help but feel I should have seen it coming.
DukeLawliet
DukeLawliet
Lagger
Lagger

AwesomeSauce : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down