Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers

4 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers - Page 2 Empty Re: Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-19, 00:18

"Yes, Brother, as you command." Gwain turns and whistles sharply with two fingers in his mouth. "Gwain's Guard, ASSEMBLE! There is adventure to be had!"

Gwain faces his brothers again and asks, "would any of you care to join me? It is a pleasure to see me and my merry men in action."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

AwesomeSauce : 2

Back to top Go down

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers - Page 2 Empty Re: Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-19, 04:18

Leewan walks to the very prow of the ship and addresses his hornsman. "Give the landing call. These soldiers must be given the chance to enjoy hard land before they are set to the task of plundering. I will come ashore with them and give secondary instruction upon landing."

Leewan heads to quarters as the billowing vibrations of the signal horn fill the air. Once in his cabin he sits on his resting cot and takes a moment to focus his mind. His brief meditation ends, he equips his armor and weapons, and meets with his landing party to move for the coast.
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse nub, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-19, 09:17

"I admit, I am curious to see how you have grown little brother. If you don't mind Leewan, I would join Gwain on his scouting."

Robillard then prepares his armor and weapons, bringing both his long sword and The Rising Dawn. He straps his tower shield across his back, and says a quick prayer to Themis, asking her for protection and good fortune in their coming endeavor.
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

AwesomeSauce : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-19, 12:10

The landing party sets off in smaller craft and after three hours the entirety of the army has their feet on firm ground again. Out to sea the fleets flags can be seen waving in the ocean breeze as they set anchor. Gwain's Guard assemble themselves along with the two younger brothers while Leewan is found at the center of the main army force. The support units stay aboard the fleet since there's not much point in them coming ashore yet in a land of unknown hostilities.

Once assembled the enterprise is left with three options: head straight inland towards the great mountain, head west along the coast or head east also along the coast but is known to end much sooner.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

AwesomeSauce : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-19, 16:20

"It is probably best for us to remain along the coast. It will allow for our warships to intervene as long as we remain close. Shall we scout further to the west?"
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-19, 19:49

"West it is. We will be guided by your keen soldier sense."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-19, 22:24

"Where there's water, there's people. We're likely to run into fishermen if we take the coast. I suggest me and my men skim through the forest along the coast to stay hidden." Gwain then looks at Robillard's full-plate dazzling in the sun. He compares it to the merry mens' woody tunics and forest green tights. "Brother, we're going to have to do something about that armor of yours."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-19, 23:20

[whether Robillard goes scouting with Gwain or not I'll need a stealth roll or something along those lines to determine how well you scout ahead. I also assume the ships will follow West along the coast?]
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-19, 23:40

[I got 11 on 4k3. Do I get a circumstantial bonus for wearing camo?]
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-20, 00:18

[Ships will be directed to follow along the coast after a majority of the men board them again. They only get off for a short while to enjoy solid ground after a month's testing travel. Gwain's scouting party has a calling horn and a designated signal to indicate when the ships will come ashore to launch an attack.

The following is a Knarr, the typical ship used by Vikings in the early middle ages.

Legendary Exploits of Three Not Viking Brothers - Page 2 File:Modell_Knorr
Link if picture does not display: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_ships#/media/File:Modell_Knorr.jpg

This sort of ship can be brought very close to sandy shores and uses a primitive anchor that holds the vessel in place. Presumably our own warships aren't too much of a leap from this. I bring this up because this sort of ship is very easy to disembark from, like assault transports in 30K/40K. Basically, can the ships close in and quickly drop off soldiers assuming the shore is gently sloping and relatively soft? (i.e. doesn't present with shoals, or dangerous rocks.]
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-20, 00:34

You all aren't actually vikings. Vikings didn't have castles like yours and the ships they more likely are similar to are either the carrak or the caravel. Either way all kinds of these ships are capable of getting close to land and deploying men but it's not a good idea to leave your ships on or close to unknown shores for extended periods as they make easier targets.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-21, 15:09

[Continuing under the presumption that something of some kind is done about the shiny armor of Robillard]

The army heads back on the ships along with Leewan while Gwain and company begin scouting along the coast. The woods in this area are largely pine and as you move along through the forest you can hear the echo of birds chirping and the crunch of pine needles under your feet. You move like this for two days as you stalk through the woods before you suddenly hear a human voice singing a tune in a language you don't understand. Gwain, Robillard and the men hide themselves quickly in a small grouping of brush so as not to be immediately spotted and it appears you remain undetected.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-21, 15:17

[Fun fact, everyone assumes I'm wearing mirrors or something, but I'm actually wearing brigandine armor. We're not rich enough for plate.]

"What do you propose we do, Gwain? It seems unsportsmanlike to end his life from ambush. There is only the one, or so it seems."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-22, 10:17

Gwain holds up his index and middle finger together, a gesture known to his men as a call for silence. He takes this moment to scan the surrounding area carefully for signs of danger. Is the singer in view? [rolls 18 on 4k3+3]

[I just got to Canada so my phone won't work for a bit and I'll be slow to post]
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-22, 14:30

Gwain scans the surroundings in the direction of the singing and he sees a group of two men and a women wearing shoddy leather clothing. Each of the individuals are carrying baskets but their contents you cannot tell and the man singing has a shortsword at his side. The group appears to be following a path that is barely worn down at all and could easily have been confused for a game trail were it not for the group walking along it.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-22, 21:31

Whispering as lightly as possible, Robillard speaks, "The way I see it, we have two options. We either capture and interrogate them, or we can send one or two men to follow them back to their village. I say we capture them. We don't want to risk the chance of being spotted and discovered."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-23, 00:41

Gwain's face grimaces in annoyance upon hearing Robillard speak again. "Battle is not the only way to win a war," he thinks to himself, though he dare not say it out loud. Making eye contact with Treachery, Gwain motions with his hands. First a downward gesture, with his palm facing the ground, an indication to stay hidden. Then he points at him and raises six fingers, followed by swiping two fingers along his palm to mimic walking along the direction of the singer. Gwain repeats the sequence, but shows the walking in the direction of the game trail. Finally, he lifts a finger to his ear and taps it twice, before bringing both his hands behind his back in a position of submission.

The full intent of the message is "Stay hidden. You in a group of six men follow the singer. I in another six will follow the group along the game trail. If they hear us, capture them."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-23, 12:15

[Robillard has no clue what your gestures mean]
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-23, 12:42

[yes, Robillard is just standing dumbfounded, but trusts in his brother. He may not have learned these signals, but he understands that Gwain is sending a clear message. He's just along for the ride.]
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-23, 14:10

The scouting party splits into two groups of six. The group continues further inland along the trail and eventually the group stops in a grove. Two more days pass like this and still you haven't an inkling as to what the group may be talking about. Eventually after four days travel inland the path and group take you to a small village. In the village you can count twelve structures each of which belches smoke from chimnies due to the frigid nature of the northern lands. You have no inclination as to the population at this moment but you see the group you trailed here head into a building in the center of town
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-23, 15:23

"Gwain, now that we have found a potential target, I can return to Leewan and inform him of this location.  We shall raze this town to the ground and draw out the lords of this land. Then we shall crush them in pitched battle and claim their wealth as our own. You should continue scouting around this area and find information about possible defense forces stationed nearby. I'm sure we will be able to handle anything in these backwater lands, but it is important to know our enemy."

With that, Robillard heads back to the coast, riding his fierce courser. He enjoys the few nights he has to himself; seeing his family once more is wonderful, but he misses his comrades from the crusade.
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-23, 17:21

And so the group sets off back towards the coast. Keeping to the heavy foliage the group remains undetected all the way back four days after finding the village. Gwain makes sure to remember the way back to the village (specifically landmarks and which way to go in respect to the sun). Upon reaching the coast you are left with the challenge of locating the fleet; the direction of which you know they were going but the challenge is still there. How will you proceed?
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-23, 17:29

Are there any signs that a massive raiding force passed through this area?
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-23, 21:32

After contemplation, and conversation the divine Themis, Robillard builds a fire, using the prearranged signal to call the fleet back to shore.
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-23, 21:39

Plumes of smoke go up into the air and miles away a spotter in the fleet sees the return signal and Leewan is informed his brothers have found something and the fleet is making for the coast near the signal. Late into the afternoon the ship carrying Leewan comes close enough to the shore and men hop off to ensure nobody followed the scouting party
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-23, 21:41

"Brother, we have found a village," booms Robillard. "It was small, but a quick strike there will allow the barbarians to flee for the safety of their lord. We can surely defeat his forces once he arrives to defend his land."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-23, 21:48

"Robillard the nimble and clever scout would also like to mention that they speak a foreign tongue. The village is a two day's journey from here."
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-24, 06:36

Leewan arrives with soldiers clad in armor and ready for battle. He walks with a vanguard of men from the shore and through the woods to his brothers. He is seen arriving with a look of genuine disappointment on his face. He speaks once he is only a few paces from his kin.

"There is no town hidden here among the trees. Why have you given signal to disembark the men and shore the warships?"
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-24, 08:09

[See Wyatt, I told you there was a miscommunication about our plans]
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-24, 08:20

"We found a small group of natives and trailed them." Gwain relates the details of the last few days, including the directions to the village. (Important side note, how attractive were they?)
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-24, 08:37

"Our soldiers cannot stay on board the ships for so much longer. Food stores run low and camp must be made. Still, to make a complete rest now would mean betraying any element of surprise we still have. What are your thoughts brothers?"
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-24, 09:04

"If we march quickly for the village we can claim their food stores as our own. It is not very far. I say we bear down on them and crush them mercilessly. Themis' faithful deserve their bounty."
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-24, 14:11

"How quickly do you plan to march 400 soldiers through the woods ... No matter."

Leewan turns to the soldiers and issues the command.

"We march by my brothers' instruction! MOVE!"
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-24, 18:47

With the order to march given the men depart from the ships. As you march inland the support force hunts amongst the woods behind the main force. Unfortunately, due to thick vegetation, the forces of house Griswald move at a snails pace since it would be difficult to move 20 men along the small game trail yet alone 400. Three days into the trek while scouting ahead of the main force Gwain comes across a flock of sheep grazing atop a hill in one of the larger forest clear areas. The site looks as though it used to bear vegetation.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-24, 20:05

Is there a shepard in sight?
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-24, 20:37

Gwain, quickly recognizing what a herd of sheep means, searches for a Shepard watching over the flock. After only a few moments Gwain locates two men sitting on a mossy log towards the top of another hill looking in the direction of the flock. They don't appear to have spotted him yet and you can see the remains of what was probably their lunch at their feet
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-24, 20:55

Gwain ponders the situation at hand. If these were Baron Bradford's guards overlooking a caravan of treasure, I would have no qualms with silencing the bastards and galloping away with the loot. But something feels off here... what glory would I win for house Griswald by murdering two defenseless shepards from 100 yards away? On the other hand, the boys do need to eat.

Gwain turns to his merry men. "Alright Guard, we're going to have a little contest. Whoever gets that flock to our army without letting the shepherds escape gets my help in charming one lady of their fancy. Oh, and if any of those two die, none of you get dinner for the next three days."

As the cadre consider their move, Gwain knocks two arrows [he has the double shot feat] and trains them on the shepherds as a fail safe.
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-24, 21:44

The men of Gwains guard split off and begin their own seperate plans of attack. Of the group members both Gluttony and Heaven take up a direct (and bandit like) approach of simply chasing the sheep away. The flock of sheep go running off the way your group came from. Not long after the sheep begin bolting the other members of Gwains Guard give up on whatever plan they each had concocted and begin chasing after the sheep into the woods. Meanwhile the Shepard's atop the hill can be seen getting up from the log and begin chasing after the people they presume to be bandits. Gwain has a couple moments to act before he loses sight of the Shepard's who are heading towards the forest in the direction of the army.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-24, 21:51

Without a thought, Gwain looses the two arrows and sends them whistling towards the shepherds, one at each. [rolls 22 and 23 on 4k7, damage is 5 per degree of success]
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-24, 22:12

The arrows fly through the air with a whistle and hit both Shepard's with a thud. The two drop to the ground immediately face first and ungraciously roll down the hill a couple more feet. The members of Gwains Guard go chasing off after the sheep not noticing what has transpired. All that is, except for treachery who stares at you mortified
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-24, 22:18

"I know, I know, I didn't want to have to do it, but none of those runts were going to stop them from getting back to their village. Leewan might have had Heaven's Head if he found out he was responsible for throwing away our element of surprise. Go check if either of them are still breathing. In any case, we have to do something with the bodies."

Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-24, 22:54

Treachery doesn't say anything but walks over to the bodies. He makes a comment about how they voided their bowels when they died but otherwise their they died horribly and painfully (though fairly quickly). As to the success of herding the sheep you can't tell through the forest.
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-24, 22:59

"Have Gia give them a proper burial. We're about to do what I just did to those to shephard to an entire village. I can only hope it will end quickly."

Gwian reports to Leewan and informs him that dinner is on its way.
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-24, 23:08

Seeing as the sheep have a significant head start on Gwain they will probably be the ones delivering the news. Gia isn't present (chasing sheep)  so Treachery instead sets about digging two graves atop the hill.

Speaking of telling people things. Leewan and Robillard are currently moving along with the army. Being lords they get to move along the game trail seeing as they shouldn't be forced to move through brush like commoners. As they continue walking along on the third day suddenly a loud noise is heard from straight ahead of their positions from men ahead
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-25, 04:34

[Awareness 4k4 check yielded a 21]

Leewan stops abruptly and holds his arm out to his side motioning for those behind him to stop. He scans the immediate vicinity and tries to better match the sound to anything he might've heard in his 30 years of life.

"There is no space to maneuver. Vanguard, hustle forward! spy on the source!"
[Warfare (Command) 6k5 yielded a 17 in case that produces any effect]
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-25, 11:48

The formation stops and formats a defensive perimeter around the two brothers. As the sounds and shouting get louder soon the brush ahead begins to move about as though something is moving through it. Leewan strains his eyes to see what it is and barreling out of the brush a sheep runs straight into the formation and is promptly smeared by the closest man. Before he can say anything five more sheep come sprinting through the woods and plow their way through the men who have minimal room to move. One sheep comes right past Leewan and Robillard startling their horses (if Leewan has one, make tests to control them if you do it be knocked down). Two of the sheep make their way through the immediate vicinity of men and soon following them comes a man in green tights who Leewan immediately recognized as the man his brother nicknamed Greed
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by InteroVegas 2016-06-26, 14:07

Leewan spins around and caps his hands around his mouth and barks out:

"Tackle the sheep! You grab one and a whole leg goes to you."

He grabs Greed by the collar as Gwain's man runs by. He pulls Greed's face close to his and stares him down with eyes wide open. "You and your comrades have a job. If Gwain does not give you the discipline needed this mission I'll do it myself."
InteroVegas
InteroVegas
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robillard Griswald 2016-06-26, 14:12

[rolling animal handling of 4k3 got me a 16]

Robillard remains mounted (assuming that he does) because he is not about to go chasing through deep woods on his heavy armor. The soldiers can collect the sheep for now.
Robillard Griswald
Robillard Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekaru 2016-06-26, 21:26

Robillard manages to control his horse despite it being startled while Leewan scolds Greed. After an hour of shenanigans 27 sheep are killed in total and the supply corps sets about preparing them for the men. Not long after Greeds scowling Leewan and Robillards group comes across the scene of the two dead Shepard's which Gwain has yet to decide how they'll be buried or taken care of
Dekaru
Dekaru
Praetor
Praetor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwain von Griswald 2016-06-26, 21:30

"These shepards were tending the flock before my men, uh, 'redirected' it. I killed them so they wouldn't be able to tell the village and we could keep our element of surprise. Would you like to examine the bodies before we bury them?"
Gwain von Griswald
Gwain von Griswald
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next