Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The general backstory

3 posters

Go down

The general backstory Empty The general backstory

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-05-29, 19:21

I am going to be roughly winging it with a custom campaign, so if you have any issues deal with it.

Like how the universe began, the world was once energy-rich, flowing with life and power. Lifeforce and mana were a single channel, and the gods roamed the earth. All the creatures and beings had forms that were beautiful to behold and lived together in near harmony. That was a long time ago. While matter and energy had been conserved, the distribution is much greater. There is a clear distinction between sentient races and the monsters, who eat people for breakfast nowadays. The main continent of Redundancion is a prime example of this. Handling stable government is a big problem, with the average kingdom security force having an intelligence score of 5, letting tigers and other assorted beasts stride into towns and villages in broad daylight and drag away little boys and girls to eat raw(Yummy). Bandits literally hide around every corner waiting to get their money's worth out of the somewhat dimwitted caravans who continue to traffic drugs for organized crime groups goods between establishments. Not many feel like venturing into the wilderness because monsters of all shapes and sizes are just waiting to come out of their small dark nooks and crannies and commit unspeakable acts affraid . Roughly about half of the eligible female population in most sentient races are currently either living in a contingency with a dragon in a tower or trapped themselves in a dungeon or cellar(the latter ultimately showing their intelligence to beauty ratio).
The latest lifestyle fad in this bleak and dreary environment seems to consist of donning black full plate armor suits with spiked helmets, living in a excessively large dark fortress on top of a volcano, hiring a motley crew of pseudo-orcs to do your chores, and requiring everyone to refer to you as "The Dark Lord". These fashionable crowd-goers hold reigns of terror over their designated portions of the continent every once in a while, disrupting any semblence of order. The people live in constant fear. It is almost as if the world was asking for some sort of, I don't know, hero-people or something.
ANYWAYS.
Introduction:
(this is all your fault if you don't like it) Harmony and cooperation was encouraged for all the peoples of the earth. This had worked out in most interracial interactions. Unfortunately orcs were heavily discriminated against because of their racial color and poor spelling. Half Orcs are a rare breed in Redundancion, but very useful in having a perfect balance of mental and physical strength. Ruling Society is mostly based on the quantity and quality of magic users working for a kingdom's bureacracy, resulting in the dominance of mages in the general class hierarchy. A certain fringe of elves that believed in citizen equality regardless of magical talent retreated to hiding in secret strongholds, cultivating a different kind of society isolated from the outside world. To defend themselves from the vicious bandits, most notably the infamous Land Pirates, they developed a school of longbow archery that utilized basic magecraft techniques.(Kinda like shiro at the archery range in school)

Once we have at least 4 characters finished I'll continue work on this. Suggestions?

Last edited by Corenat Rovarnus on 2010-06-05, 10:56; edited 8 times in total
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The general backstory Empty Re: The general backstory

Post by Guest 2010-05-30, 19:35

For the actual campaign is it going to be serious-ish, (any comedy would come from the players stupidity or ideas, not the actual story line) or like an unorgotten realms?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-05-30, 20:01

Um its going to be all british humor, which is somewhat between serious and funny. You guys wanna suggest some fantasy-ish town names?
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-05-30, 20:56

not a humorous campaign

Back to top Go down

Post by M. Ainsel 2010-06-04, 18:57

EDITED: Ok thats better. Lol I found a way around your f*** to amos censorship Razz

Last edited by MarthMarthy on 2010-06-05, 23:42; edited 1 time in total
M. Ainsel
M. Ainsel
Executor
Executor

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse Undergrad, When They Cry Undergrad
AwesomeSauce : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-06-04, 19:16

In a calm-er manner:

You shouldn't build your backstory to screw with a characters background. If you have an issue with a pc's background either work it out with them or give the pc's a continent with some history to work off of.

Ok now my comments:

When you write your backstories and the like as a narrator you shouldn't use abbreviations or slang like "hawwt", also if you are going to define ideas like saying there a lot of interracial breeding then say it clearly and not in 2 bit terms.
The campaign shouldn't feel comedic, it should have a tone to it but the tone should be serious or middle groundish, if the the campaign is made to be comedic then players also tailor their characters to the comedic setting like making a halfling barbarian. The bias is fine and all but the setting of the world having unstable kingdoms with creatures roaming around doesn't sit well, timewise by the time the pc's make it to level 3 all governmental structure in this setting would fail, near 50% of the humanoid population would be barbarian. The mages have high hierarchy is cool, having a grand magus who did something that was history worthy is also cool, the red sword of truth, no.

So here is the details about this world that I have gathered so far:
Mages are higher up in the hierarchy
There is a grand magus (Screw the red sword of truth)
There is a very large amount of human x elf interracial breeding.
There is a large amount of discrimination towards orcs.
There are very few half orcs due to the discrimination.

Oh by the way, this is more of a gming advice but if you want to make the world feel real then you shouldn't use chapter breaks, they make it blatantly obvious that there is a given story line with over arching ideas. Also making a chapter break may give the impression that some mission/story things are over when there is more to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin 2010-06-05, 09:14

just to reinforce amos's statements, i agree with the points that amos raises
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD
AwesomeSauce : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-06-05, 10:53

Where is this chapter break that you are so worried about? anyways, I was really sleepy when I wrote the story so I didn't feel like putting some things in nice child friendly terms. Alright I took out those objectional parts, happy now?
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-06-05, 12:25

Sweet, its looking good.

Back to top Go down