Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xorg

3 posters

Go down

Xorg Empty Xorg

Post by Dave 2010-08-04, 23:44

Okay, so I am trying to install Arch. I got past what's supposed to be the hard part (partitioning the disk, configuring the operating system, setting up the wireless network, downloading packages, the list goes on...).

Now there is one extremely annoying thing that is in between me and a fully-featured desktop. That one thing is the Window Manager Xorg. When I type "startx", the entire machine freezes up and I can't even switch terminals. All I see is a black screen with a frozen '_' prompt in the top left corner. I can't even CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE out of it. I have to shut the computer off.

So I was wondering if anyone knows ANYTHING that would be helpful. This is really quite annoying.

Oh, and here's a mock-up of the screen I'm getting:

Code:
_

lol!
Dave
Dave
Griefer
Griefer

AwesomeSauce : 9

Back to top Go down

Xorg Empty Re: Xorg

Post by nullset12 2010-08-05, 07:46

archlinux?

umm have you tried running through any other linux commands?

http://bugs.archlinux.org/
nullset12
nullset12
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry BS
AwesomeSauce : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 2010-08-05, 13:33

I'm not sure what you mean by "other linux commands".

I've tried using the open source "xf88-video-ati" and "xf86-video-radeonhd" graphics card drivers, which are the proper drivers for my card. I've also tried using the proprietary "catalyst" drivers from the AUR.

I've tried starting X with an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and without one. I've also tried with and without a ~/.xinitrc file. I've tried 'X -configure' and and I've also used yaourt to install the 'hwd' package which supposedly configures X for you. I ran 'hwd -xa' and it created this enormous xorg.conf file with pretty much everything I need in it. For some reason it uses the 'vesa' driver, though, so I'm not sure if that is an issue or not.
Dave
Dave
Griefer
Griefer

Back to top Go down

Post by nullset12 2010-08-05, 15:14

I cannot help you

i am clueless on this issue sorry Sad
nullset12
nullset12
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 2010-08-05, 16:13

I'll try reinstalling all the drivers and the Xorg server. If anyone wants to install Arch along with me, we can help each other. Smile
Dave
Dave
Griefer
Griefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 2010-08-05, 18:13

Woohoo! I got it to work, finally. Here's what I did:

remove 'catalyst'
reinstall 'xf86-video-ati', 'libgl', 'xorg'
delete xorg.conf
delete ~/.xinitrc
install 'hal', 'dbus', 'xf86-video-intel' (for my graphics controller), 'xf86-video-fbdev' (I'm not sure why I need this one, but it was listed as one of the missing drivers in '/var/log/Xorg.0.log'), 'xorg-input-drivers'
edit /etc/rc.conf: add in the modules 'radeon', 'intel', 'fbdev'

Now I used 'pacman -S kde' and I have an awesome-looking desktop... not just one but up to 40 at once!
I love KDE cheers
Dave
Dave
Griefer
Griefer

Back to top Go down

Post by nullset12 2010-08-05, 18:50

If you want to have multiple desktops , you can use virtualwin (for windows i mean)
nullset12
nullset12
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2010-08-05, 20:28

Proz use linux anyway. it makes everything more difficult for the n00bs and script kiddies when they try to harm your computer.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 2010-08-05, 21:18

nullset12 wrote:If you want to have multiple desktops , you can use virtualwin (for windows i mean)

There's nothing stopping you from installing KDE on Windows too.

However, KDE is just a desktop and window manager. I didn't install Arch just for KDE, that wouldn't be worth the trouble. I use Linux because it gives you total control over your machine. You can do pretty much anything you want. Being able to do anything I want makes my life much easier. As a plus, it comes with a well-thought-out and very powerful shell language, which is a lot more than you can say about cmd Laughing .

And... it's totaly free. In several different ways and several different meanings.
Dave
Dave
Griefer
Griefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum