Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Log Horizon [Light Novel + Animu]

Go down

Log Horizon [Light Novel + Animu] Empty Log Horizon [Light Novel + Animu]

Post by Corenat Rovarnus on 2015-08-24, 00:39

It's another one of those "stuck in video game" premise stories, but apparently not as retarded as SAO. Any of you scrubs watch it?

I'm gonna copypaste over my rant from Rule Breaker forums, and then another rant about the economics fail in S1E7. I guess the fact that I bothered to make rants means it's good?

I wrote:Alright aelms and all you other nobodies, I started watching Log Horizon. The intro is pretty cool with the almost perfect engrish, but as with every other MMO anime out there, the game seems to have been designed by idiots, and played by idiots.

Thorn Bind Hostage remains on the target for a duration that is LONGER THAN THE ACTUAL COOLDOWN. I don't know about you but being permanently snared is not my idea of fun. I can only hope other CC spells aren't like that. Its damage is also unmitigated by defenses?

There does not appear to be any NPCs or mechanics that let you change your class, or at least "reset" your character if you want to try another path.

No sanctioned/official PvP or an arena. The good guys regard Player Killing as the worst thing you could do, bringing their outmoded moral compass over from the real world despite the fact that everybody knows you'll respawn. In fact, dying now becomes the quickest form of transportation barring the event that the intercity gates are restored.

I have a hard time believing the "bandits" are actual players, they just walk out into the open and deliver scripted lines just like NPCs!
The nasty purple haired guy, there was nooooo reason for him to accept catman's "1v1 me faggot" demand instead of just ordering his goons to attack en masse. They're interested in profit and slaves, not honor and fair fights especially since they're already doing the "evil" of PKing. I'll admit shiroe's plan was pretty good but it hinged on the assumption that demikas would go for a 1v1.
I almost had to facepalm, like I couldn't believe an actual human being would fall for that.
If you've lived at all in real life, in the modern world, you ought to be trope-savvy enough to know that EVERY SINGLE TIME this happens in fiction, the guy with the bigger army is taking a really stupid risk which he always pays the price for. And the whole thing devolved into an all out skirmish anyway.

The clincher was at the end when he had 1 hit point left and all his thugs were routed, and he madly charged at the good guys anyway. This is some seriously cliche shit that should be reserved to NPCs.

I was especially riled up in episode 7 when they start the food stand business.

First off, the supposed master tactician Shiroe can't do basic division. I did the math beforehand, and assuming the day's sales were 43776 gold it would take about 114 days to reach the required 5 million gold threshold if sales proceeded at a constant rate. He said it was 120. Don't they have calculators, or at least a calculator app in this game?

Second, their being able to serve only 1000 people a day is NO barrier to making money.
The CMA have a total monopoly on the genuine food market, and that gives a lot of versatility in what you can do.
They could just take down orders and accept payment in advance, giving each customer a ticket voucher and putting them in a separate queue line to be served. Boom, they can now have the money from all 15,000 of their potential market.
Even better, they can charge an extra fee for people who don't want to wait to be moved up in the serving queue, perhaps at a rate of 1 gold per position shift. For example let's say a guy orders, and is put at the end of the queue, position 4000. If s/he is rich and impatient enough, s/he can choose to pay 4000 extra gold to be moved to the front(position 1) and served right away.
These are all legitimate business practices that are easy to come up with, but Henrietta didn't even bother to consider them. Looks like that "Masters in Business Administration" was just an informed ability(aka just talk).
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Log Horizon [Light Novel + Animu] Empty Re: Log Horizon [Light Novel + Animu]

Post by The Lord Kelvin on 2015-08-24, 10:05

I've been following Log Horizon since it's started airing.
I enjoy the anime as it's actually a "stuck in a video game" story, unlike SAO which is much more of a "transfered to another world" story in which people don't actually follow video game logic.
The story also doesn't feature any OP characters (like Kirito), which is a nice change.
The pacing and storytelling is nice as well, imo.
My biggest qualm with the story is that it seems like it's geared towards a younger audience. The tone and artstyle is a lot lighter than that of the light novels on which it's based. tbh, if you want to really enjoy the story, read the light novels. I'm not saying this simply because animated or live adaptations of novels tend to be worse than the original content, but rather because it feels completely different because of the lighter style used.
They try to get back to the dark tone in the latest season, but I have to say that it just feels unnatural and isn't presented all that well.
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD
AwesomeSauce : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede on 2015-08-24, 11:32

The only good stuck in an mmo anime imo is .hack//sign, and even then it's still got a few problems.

Anyway this has looked interesting to me and ive been meaning to watch it but never got around to it, guess i'll be watching this along with gate when i get my computer.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

AwesomeSauce : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by GrimGrim on 2015-09-03, 17:17

Skimmed through both Log Horizon seasons. Felt the pacing was really slow and dull as animation goes. Too much "Uguu, I hope Nyanko-sensei notices me." and too little actually exploring the world. The characters weren't that memorable either.

I do like the stuck on game world trope a lot though. Been reading Death March and Overlord for now. Both getting translated actively at the moment.
GrimGrim
GrimGrim
Camper
Camper

AwesomeSauce : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus on 2015-09-03, 19:25

Gross, more MC harem and chainmail bikini crap.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin on 2015-09-03, 20:06

@GrimGrim wrote:Skimmed through both Log Horizon seasons. Felt the pacing was really slow and dull as animation goes. Too much "Uguu, I hope Nyanko-sensei notices me." and too little actually exploring the world. The characters weren't that memorable either.

As I said earlier, the light novel is so much better.
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede on 2015-09-04, 00:55

Anyplace to get the pdfs of log horizon? I need a new book to read during break, and i finished Fate/Zero again.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus on 2015-09-04, 01:15

Ah yes, because you live in a barbaric town with no public library.
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede on 2015-09-04, 01:21

;-; Unnecessary harsh, um... least I'm independent.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus on 2015-09-04, 11:37

Hey it's not your fault, it's the town's. Hatin' the game not the player. And it would be a real shame if they didn't even have a proper bookstore, that would go against everything our great capitalist nation stands for.

I gotta disagree with Grimgrim, just because a character's not kawaii waifu material doesn't mean they aren't memorable. Log Horizon's got some pretty good characterization, everyone has their own thing that makes them stand out. The author should have been the writer for Aldnoah Zero, that show had a good premise but piss poor characters.

And does nobody care about my 1337 business plan?
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede on 2015-09-04, 12:19

Actually i was referring to what i originally wrote as harsh. And there is a book store...that sells Christian books only.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin on 2015-09-04, 13:23

this seems to be missing volumes 1 & 2 for some reason, but:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8JvHpAXgHl8WEZTd255QnNzYzA&usp=sharing
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede on 2015-09-04, 14:37

I found that one yesterday, guess iil hunt around for one and two when i get off work.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin on 2015-09-04, 15:23

I'm sure you've probably already found these as well, but I'll put them down anyways.

someone's blog with the stuffs: http://skythewood.blogspot.com/p/5.html
epubs: http://kanakoslightnovels.blogspot.com/2014/02/log-horizon-volumes-1-to-6.html
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by kaede on 2015-09-05, 01:09

Oh yeah, i found pdfs of 1-7 ill put them up somewhere.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus on 2015-09-06, 18:09

I noticed a small thing in the last episode of season one, possibly an error. The Novasphere Pioneers expansion supposedly raised the max level to 100, and there are several guilds trying to get level 91 members. However, the leader of Plant Hwyaden, who supposedly has an entire region of adventurers under her control and no moral compunctions about exploiting them, is still level 90. I would think if she's Shiroe's equal in intelligence she would be farming EXP potions to raise her own level, and with the probably thousands of low level adventurers enthralled to her service she'd be at least level 91 by now?
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by GrimGrim on 2015-09-07, 07:54

Was there any mention on the EXP amount or special requirements needed to raise over 90+? Without having read LN - maybe the necessary EXP is something that needs years of grinding or certain requirements have not been met yet.
GrimGrim
GrimGrim
Camper
Camper

AwesomeSauce : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus on 2015-09-07, 19:41

No I don't believe amounts or requirements were mentioned. But assuming the Eldar Tale developers weren't complete knuckleheads(an assumption that is constantly challenged with each episode) a character should be capable of going from 90 to 91 in a reasonable amount of time just from fighting on level opponents. The noob party was able to gain several levels in a couple days from grinding a single dungeon.

With a guaranteed constant supply of EXP potions Nureha will always level twice as fast and can do so safely against under-level mobs. Why someone with that much intelligence and power hasn't taken such an easy opportunity baffles me. Any light novel readers who can confirm that this is being exploited?
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Kelvin on 2015-09-07, 20:27

I've only read up to 4 or 5, but the second season of the anime goes into the character you're referring to's situation. I'm not going into it as that's kind of getting into spoiler territory.
The Lord Kelvin
The Lord Kelvin
Archon
Archon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down