Church of ProZ: Otaku Fortress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rule Breaker Anniversary Review

4 posters

Go down

rule - Rule Breaker Anniversary Review Empty Rule Breaker Anniversary Review

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2013-04-10, 21:25

I am aware that neither this day nor this month are the start or end dates of any Rule Breaker system RPG session, but I'm putting it up now because I will probably forget about it when the actual time comes around.
We've come a long way since Grimwind established the auxiliary haven for Moon Records members all those years ago (ok it was in 2010 but still, years), I thought I'd compile the Nullset statistics of each one and compare them. Post your comments, what you think were good and bad changes, and what the merits of each session were. All this information actually took quite a bit of time and effort to obtain.

Start Date - I record this as the date that the topics were officially up for posting your actions for Day 1, Round 1. Anything before that was mere preparation.
End Date - The day that the Game Master declared the game officially over or discontinued.

Holy Grail War 6 - Game Master: Grimwind. Duties were taken over by Rallasner on Day 2.
Start Date: June 13th, 2010 End Date: October 29th, 2010 Put on "hiatus"(aka canceled) by Grimwind. Last post was on October 8th, 2010.
Lasted 3 Game Days, with 8 characters: Traveler, Einzbern, Wanderer, Private Doctor, Supervisor, Matou, Tohsaka, Medium
Events: 12 total, 5 on Day 1 | 7 on Day 2 | 0 on Day 3.
Battles: 3

Holy Grail War 7 - Game Master: Grimwind
Start Date:February 26th, 2011 End Date:April 7th, 2012 Declared dead by Grimwind. Last post was on April 1st, 2012.
Lasted 9 Game Days, with 9 characters:
Supervisor, Tortured Soul, Detective, Tohsaka, Medic, Phantom Trader, Shounen, Collector, Einzbern, Matou
Events: 39 total, 3 on Day 1|4 on Day 2|8 on Day 3|8 on Day 4|8 on Day 5*|2 on Day 6|3 on Day 7|1 on Day 8|2 on Day 9
*including all the topics from the tripartite Fate event
Battles:

Heaven's Fall - Game Master: Corenat Rovarnus
Start Date: End Date: Currently Passive.
Running total of 6 Game Days, with characters: Einzbern, Matou, Tohsaka, Supervisor, Redhead, Feline, Vagrant, Thunderer
Events: 21 total. Distribution is CLASSIFIED.
Battles:

One of the little quirks I notice in Grimwind's games are the odd titles attributed to the non-Family Masters. The whole point of a title is that you got it because of some aspect of your personality, the amazing feats you've accomplished in the past, basically who you are to other people. That worked for Medic, Detective, etc. because it was actually their job, but you have "Phantom Trader","Collector","Shounen", like what does that even mean. The Collector never really did any 'collecting' and he wasn't an alien that was indoctrinated and assimilated by the Reapers. I have no idea what Phantom Trading is but I am pretty sure RMX didn't participate in any throughout the game.
I guess you could handwave it as an attempt to preserve anonymity for events and such, but when you post in an event people see your username and know who you are anyway so there isn't any reason to make up some random title. But I did anyway for you guys because I felt like it Razz If you don't like it reply or PM me with the title you want, or if you want me to make one that actually sounds cool for you because I am good at doing that with my giant dic- er expansive vocabulary.
Ok to be dead honest I just want feedback on how much better (or worse) I've done than grimwind with my own session. Coolness of the setting, Plot integrity, GM flexibility, combat system, Servant OPness, prettyness of pictures, have at you.

Last edited by Corenat Rovarnus on 2013-04-11, 16:53; edited 1 time in total
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

rule - Rule Breaker Anniversary Review Empty Re: Rule Breaker Anniversary Review

Post by kaede 2013-04-11, 16:44

Your game is still going? Why am I trying to make vampire hunt then?

And ranking for the values you want feedback on.
Setting: Both are the same setting although grimgrim's is suppose to take place twenty to thirty years into the future, while I don't remember if you gave a date for yours. Overall i'll give it to yours because you fleshed out the setting while grimgrim didn't.

Plot Integerity: I'll give it to Grimgrim because while he didn't finish the sixth war he still fleshed it out by giving it basic events. Your game on the other hand doesn't make any mention if it takes place after another grail war or is the 6th war.

GM flexibility: point to you because you let alot of stuff slide and I found out that my character could have been a bit better if i didn't nerf her myself.

Combat system: I will call this a tie because I liked grimgrim's first combat system more than the one he used in his second game ,just needed a few tweaks IMO, while yours was a better version of grimgrim's second system.

Servant OPness: Grimrgim. Next topic.

pictures. I'll give the point to you. while you both used great pictures for characters and maps, the battle maps for grimgrim's second game were a bit of a mess because he had the players edit them and it could get messy after a few posts.
kaede
kaede
Archon
Archon

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD
AwesomeSauce : 45

Back to top Go down

rule - Rule Breaker Anniversary Review Empty Re: Rule Breaker Anniversary Review

Post by GrimGrim 2013-04-14, 07:58

Phantom Trader - He bought and sold goods, proprieties and favors of all kind in legal and illegal ways in a peerless manner. He soon became a renowned ‘phantom’ trader, owning no organizations by himself but managing incredible feats with connections and enough planning. — As a tycoon of all things valuable, Hai could afford a vice or two, or at least a very expensive hobby. An adept of antique and pawn shops, his way of life gradually turned him from casual collector to a full-fledged and passionate relic hunter.

Collector - He deeply enjoys traveling around the world as it helps him to relax while enjoying the huge cultural differences between each land. His favorite countries are those in which the Church has little to no power, as it allows him to slightly drop down his guard while he searches for ancient artifacts.
He was trying to collect interesting things from the grail war as I recall, such as find a way to obtain noble phantasms.

Shounen - Meroy was basically grumbling how he couldn't come up with any title. So I just recommended something on the fly. It doesn't relate to his background or current objectivest at all.

I set up the titles in hopes of creating some atmosphere. Using those instead of usernames.
GrimGrim
GrimGrim
Camper
Camper

AwesomeSauce : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Corenat Rovarnus 2013-04-14, 17:47

I get that they help the atmosphere, but it seems like Phantom Trader and Collector roughly describe the same type of guy who hunts for ancient relics to add to a collection.
If the Phantom Trader is more like an independent go-between for exchanging pretty much anything between anyone I believe a better title would be something like Power Broker, but it doesn't really tie in to the relic hunter aspect?
Corenat Rovarnus
Corenat Rovarnus
Imperator
Imperator

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD, When They Cry Master
AwesomeSauce : 137

https://churchofproz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenoe 2013-04-15, 00:36

There are so many effects that cannot be encompassed by the point system though, and the stats are imbalanced.
A hit die system would have worked better for HP and MP, rather than it being based on the other stats.
Also the user response in ours was horrid, to the point that I just gave up trying to track the posts at a point.
Xenoe
Xenoe
Praetor
Praetor

ProZ Degrees: Nasuverse PhD
AwesomeSauce : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down